scott's world cup blog


In the Motherland

Actually, the mother's mother's mother's Motherland. I think I have that right. I celebrated by dropping my bags at the hotel and buying a Danish Hot Dog and a Coke- something from here, something from home. The best news of all, no more german keyboards! Hurray! Although, now there is æ and ø and å, and for that matter I dont even remember which one is supposed to be the y and which one is supposed to be the z, so I dont even know if thats right.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to try to find a walking tour, the Tycho Brahe Planetarium, and Tivoli. Tonight, I need a bar that sells aquavit. My dad used to tell this story about how the Danes made him drink shot after shot of aquavit because it was "good for the heart", "good for the lungs", etc, until he figured he was "damn near immortal." If I get drunk, wander in to traffic, and die, blame Dad. I learned it from YOU Dad! I learned it from watching YOU!!!

Edited to add: So I walked out of the internet cafe, intent on finding a bar and ordering something truely authentically Danish. Upon emerging through the doorway, I immediately heard a live band playing in the bar twenty steps across the little courtyard area. The words... "In Birmingham they love the guvnah (true true true) Now we all did what we could do." You know, I'm starting to think maybe it's too small a world...