scott's world cup blog


A leftover Copenhagen story

Two nights ago I stopped in a bar to watch Spain/France. This was partly to root against France, and partly because I promised the hot Spanish woman near the Queen's Palace that I would. So I got to talking to the guy on the next stool, who turned out to be from Belgium where he tells me they hate the French as well. So we sat there talking about hating France and European politics and whatnot. At some point (before the terrible dive that cost Spain the game) I mention how I walked out on the street last night and immediately heard a band playing "Sweet Home Alabama," as kind of a parable on the pitfalls of globalism (erasing advantages to be gained from diversity and local culture). So anyway, the game ends, and as we're paying our tabs they turn the game audio down and a band takes the stage. Yes, it may seem obvious where this story is going, but trust me I was completely blindsided when they played the first couple cords. Sweet Home Alabama. First song. Thanks for nothing, Copenhagen!